Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fireplace frenzy

I am bound and determined to figure this ridiculous fireplace out. I am a very simple person, but after living in cramped apartments for as long as I have, when finding the right place to live; I was going to be specific in certain wants. For example: Washer/Dryer, Fireplace and Hardwood flooring.

Two out of three, is not too shabby. For once, I don’t have to worry about getting up at 5:30am just to get a spot in the washing line. Forget drying anything in any of the old places, a shower rod became the main method and a girl’s best friend.

Fireplaces…where do I even begin. I’ve lived in one apartment that ever had one and after a massively failed attempt in starting a fire, (it was ended by the Fire Department making a home visit because apparently those “starts” that I was doing was creating an incredible smoke effect on the people living above…whoops) all other apartments have been heating board friendly.

Not the best experience, but I’m going to MacGyver my way through getting the fireplace functional. There wasn’t a key, my landlord has no clue some neighbors gave me a little hint so it was off to the hardware store. It is times like being inside of a hardware store that I feel the real effects of intimidation and having a rambling tongue. I hate this generalization but it’s there.

I have NO idea what type of a fireplace this thing is, how to even start it. It’s gas which is terrifying to me. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind not having to dump the excess of burnt logs but what if I can’t get the fireplace turned off properly and leave a switch on releasing gas. And poof, the alarm goes off and we have another date with the local Fire Department. This would be so typical, and is my exact fear.

So we have a dilemma and I’ll try to coach my way through it until it works. With the number for the Fire Department on hand!

On a side note, the cookies are a hit. A hit with my taste buds! They were easy to make and look almost exactly like the photo from the recipe. The cookie exchange is set, thank goodness. So here we are on a Saturday and I am excited to say I have a date. A date with Leonardo DiCaprio…and hopefully not the local FD. And since its date night with Leo, why not take it up a notch with a lovely French culinary delight.

The menu game plan:
Starter: Fondue au Gruyere Canapes and leafy salad
Main: Filets de Poisson Bercy aux Champignons
(Fish filets poached in white wine w/mushrooms)
Dessert: Mulled wine and a Chocolate Pistachio Cookie

Sons délectables!

No comments:

Post a Comment