Monday, December 27, 2010

Sometimes all that matters is taking a minute to breathe

The Monday after Christmas last year, I was starting a new job in San Francisco. Harried that it had taken a couple of months to land and seriously thanking the grace of god for having saved a little safety net that kept everything afloat until that first paycheck.

Today, a year later it’s the Monday after Christmas and I had an interview in a place far away from the golden state.

Before I went to sleep last night, my mind couldn’t shut itself off and repeatedly I kept wishing that something positive would come job-wise soon. Having time off has been extremely beneficial especially for the fact that this is an entirely new environment, but it’s time to get back to work.

Fortunately before I left the bay area, I had saved up enough money so that I could afford to take a few months off but I am not the type of person that enjoys not being productive. From the first day of being in the new place, applications have been going out every single day.

Having the economy in an uproar is frankly getting old, and I know I am one of millions that are feeling the pain of being out of work. This is the strangest concept to me that I am still not working and yet am pretty much asking the universe to send something in this direction.

It’s ridiculous and I should stop complaining because honestly what is the point and there are people that have it worse. There is shelter over my head, food in my belly and have a support system on-call. Then again I did leave a very well paying job (corporate conglomerates are not in my future) and left on a whim, seriously. Was that the smartest decision? I’d still be working by now, unhappily, but working.

I don’t really want to think about the interview and how it went, I’m still more focused on getting through the remainder of the year and praying that January will hold better cards. According to my lovely horoscope, it appears there will be lots of prospects. Here’s hoping!

In all honesty, the only reason I’m complaining about not working is mainly that I miss having daily contact with people apart from the non-personal conversations you have with the people at a coffee shop, the grocer or those you pass while out on a walk.

Enough of feeling mopey because I’ve taken a much needed breather, vented enough that my own thoughts are sounding annoying and am letting it go for now.

Everything happens for a reason, every path we take leads into another filled with experiences and learning opportunities. Live your life with no regrets, stay the course of your own happiness and everything else will fall into place.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just need to vent! That is what 60% of my blog is about!!

    I will be sending happy thoughts your way for the decision of the interview - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, eternal optimism is great but some days you just need to let it out. Thanks for the luck, fingers crossed for good things!

    ReplyDelete